working with text in InDesign doesn’t have to be difficult. here are just a few text selection tricks.
• 1x click = place cursor
• 2x click = select word
• 3x click = select line
• 4x click = select paragraph
• 5x click = select entire story
…but you probably already knew that.
to select a specific portion of text — click once at the beginning of the bit you want to select (to place your cursor) and then shift-click at the end — everything in between gets selected.
you can also navigate around and select text entirely with your keyboard.
• left and right arrows take you along a line one character at a time — but hold down the command key and you’ll jump by words.
• similarly, the up and down arrows move between lines of text — add the command key and you’ll jump to the beginning of the next paragraph.
here are some other tricks with the arrow keys
• shift-left selects the next character
• shift-command-left selects the next word
• shift-down selects the next line
• shift-command-down selects to the end of the paragraph
…these also work with the up and right arrows
combine all that with keyboard shortcuts for your paragraph and character styles and you’ll be a text formatting wiz.